WHEN YOU REGISTER YOUR CHILD IN ONE OF OUR SCHOOL BOARDS, THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS ARE NEEDED:
1 – A CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY TO ENGLISH SCHOOL
- If you don’t have one for your child, you must apply for one. NOTE: In order to qualify for one, you must meet certain eligibility criteria under the Charter of the French Language as set out by the Quebec Government (see list of criteria A to H listed below)
2 – YOUR CHILD’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE, WITH THE NAMES OF BOTH PARENTS
- If you don’t have one at the time of registration, you will need to order one. Here is the link to order one if your child was born in QUEBEC: http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/forms-publications.html
- If your child was born in Canada, you must contact the provincial authorities of the province your child was born in.
- If the child was born OUTSIDE CANADA, you must submit an OFFICIAL TRANSLATION in English or in French. You must also bring the original birth certificate in the official language it was prepared in.
3 – PROOF OF CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP OF THE PARENT WHORECEIVED ENGLISH EDUCATION IN CANADA
(except for Criteria E, F, G, H – see paragraphs below for details):
- A valid Canadian Passport;
- A Birth Certificate (long or short version is acceptable);
- Proof of Quebec Residency, such as:
- Valid Driver’s license;
- Quebec Child tax benefit statement;
- Income Tax Return Quebec Revenue;
- Other document issued by a Quebec government agency;
- Lease, House Deed.
CRITERIA FOR A CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY TO ENGLISH SCHOOL
If you meet ONE of the following, you can apply for a certificate of eligibility to English School and attend one of our schools!
If you have more than one child and that one child has eligibility to English School, his or her siblings will also receive eligibility. Certain conditions apply in terms of blended families.
NOTE that a certificate of Eligibility doesn’t expire EXCEPT in the case of those issued for temporary stays in Quebec and for children who were granted eligibility because one of his/her parents was in the Canadian Armed Forces.
- You are the child’s parent and this child has a sibling who is attending English school in Quebec and holds a certificate of eligibility to English.
- You are the child’s parent, have Canadian Citizenship and received most of your elementary studies in English in Quebec.
- You are the child’s parent, have Canadian Citizenship and received most of your elementary studies in English in Canada.
- You are a Canadian citizen and your children are presently attending or attended English school in Canada and this education constitutes the majority of their studies.
- Your child has a severe learning disability and attending English school is recommended by a professional.
- Your child has a parent who is here in Quebec on a temporary stay and holds an employment or study permit issued by the provincial or federal authorities.
- Your child has a parent who is assigned temporarily to Quebec because he/she is a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.
- You are a Canadian Citizen and attended French school in Quebec BUT your child’s grandfather or grandmother, aunt or uncle, went to school in English in Canada.
For further information, please contact your local school board.